Friday, November 28, 2008

Need a Kelpie?


I know this has nothing to do with gardening, but I've got to find a new home for Elzora and I'm asking for your help. In April I took in a dog that was running up and down the street, half starved and scared. I fed her and took her to the vet for her shots and to be spayed and micro chipped. I then found out that she had heart worms. I've had her treated for the heart worms and she is now completely healthy. She is a kelpie, between 3 and 4 years old weighing about 35 pounds. She's incredibly sweet and affectionate, smart and has a great personality... most of the time.
She has two problems. One is that she growls at people, the other is that she hates other dogs. She doesn't growl all of the time or even when first meeting people. She runs up to anyone, wagging her little stub tail and wanting affection and lets them pet her and love on her but at some point she usually starts to growl. She's never snapped at or bitten anyone, just growls. She growls alot. She growls when she plays with her tennis ball, throwing it up in the air and knocking it around with her front feet. It's really cute, but almost the entire time she's doing it, she's growling. She growls at other dogs too. My dog just ignores her growling and tries to get her to play. She growls and acts angry with Phoebe (my dog) but eventually she starts to play with her a bit (in her own way).
Unfortunately she's not that great with my roommate's dog. For some reason she has decided that she hates his collie. She stares at the collie and follows her everywhere, growling and trying to dominate her. They've had a few full on fights and now the collie is starting to display signs of aggression with other dogs, so the kelpie has got to go. I think that part of her problem is that she's a very intelligent and energetic dog and really needs a job. Because of the problems she has with other dogs she spends her life in my large backyard. She runs around out there and patrols the area but it's not enough to keep her busy. She really wants to work. I think she'd make a great farm or ranch dog or anyone who has some acreage. Before my roommate moved in she was allowed in the house and she is house-broken. Also, she never bothers the cats. She shows a little interest, but has never shown any sign of aggression even as they stroll past her. I'm at the end of my rope. Having to keep the dogs separated is difficult enough, but now it's starting to get cold and I can't stand the thought of leaving her outside. I never intended to keep this dog, I just wanted to help her. I think that the first few years of her life were really hard and she really is a good, sweet dog and deserves to be with someone that can give her a good life. I think that if she was the only dog with one or two owners she'd be a great pet. Please let me know if you have any interest in Elzora?

6 comments:

ConsciousGardener said...

Good Luck Randy! I'll put out the word...I've got two cats that need an indoor home because of allergies that I've been trying to place for a few years now...

Unknown said...

I would be interested in Elzora! Can I come and visit with her?

Unknown said...

Lauren, you can come and visit her. I don't know how to contact you. It says you have no blog

Missy said...

You're right -- she is a beautiful dog. The craigslist ad was really, really funny, and it made me both laugh and cry (it was very sweet of you to take her in). I hope you find a new home for her! I just rescued a dog myself and I know it can be a hard road. Good luck!

Missy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Missy said...

Oh, yes, I don't have a profile on here but you left a comment on my site -- www.misheru.com.