Saturday, November 15, 2008

What's blooming today . November 2008

Here's what's blooming in my garden today. Tonight it is forecast to be our first freeze of the season. It's chilly outside now but I'll believe the freeze when I see it.
I was really surprised to see this flower from my Mexican Flame Vine or senicio confusus. I transplanted it this past spring and it has languished all summer. This is it's first and probably last bloom on the season.

This is a bloom from the Cat Whiskers or Orthonsiphon aristatus. I planted it last spring and it survived the winter and bloomed again this year. You can easily see how it gets it's name

The Indigo Spires Salvia is covered in blooms, bees and butterflies as is the mealy blue sage.

This is a potted euphorbia plant. It's been blooming for about a month.

Some of the snapdragons that came up on their own this past spring.
This is my Texas Wild Olive Tree or Cordia boisseiri. It blooms like this all summer and fall. One of my favorites A nice yellow hibiscus

This is one of my succulents in a container. It's been blooming for about 2 weeks. The blooms close up at night and re-open in the morning.
This is Texas Swampmallow or Pavonia lasiopetala. These are all covered in blooms. These come up all over the yard too.

Here is a coral hibiscus that I've had in a pot for about 7 years. I keep it in a protected place every winter and then bring it out in the spring and cut the branches back to the trunk.

Gotta have some chrysanthemums.

This double purple datura has been blooming all spring, summer and fall. I planted one last year in the front yard and now I have about 50 of em scattered all over the yard. Next year there's no telling how many of them will be coming up in the yard.

Another shot of the datura

This is a Confederate Rose or Hibiscus mutabilis. It's been blooming for about a month now. The flowers average about 3 to 4 inches across.

9 comments:

Lythrum said...

Howdy! I'm like you, I started out with a clean slate in my yard too. New house in a new subdivision. We're two years in now and finally seeing some good results. Good luck with your new garden and blog!

Unknown said...

Beautiful and glad you decided to join us what a great contribution. I planted the double datura this year, it looks sad, any secrets? Mums are great I have white hibiscus and am offering seeds on one of my older posts, check it out and let me know if you want any, yes, they are free.

ConsciousGardener said...

Yea! You're up! Lookin' good...love those catwhiskers, you're yard is fab, glad to have you bloggin' with us:)

Nancy said...

Welcome to blogging! You're a very fortunate garden blogger, as you live in a city that is uncommonly active amoung it's garden bloggers.

Oh, looks like we're both going to get frost bit tonight, even with me way down in NW Harris County. I got my plants covered just in time!

Carol Michel said...

Welcome to blogging and bloom day. I read a lot of blogs from Austin gardeners, and always learn something new from each of them. I like those catwhisker flowers, good name for them. Nothing like that growing up here!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

flydragon said...

Hi,
Since I no longer have any flowers blooming in my garden, I really enjoyed seeing yours. I love the double daturas. I've planted them here but have never had any come up on their own. Your's are gorgeous! Also like your cat whiskers. Never heard of them before.

Annie in Austin said...

Hello Horselips - Cool GBBD post and you do have some very unusual plants! I've heard of the catwhiskers but don't know anyone who is growing it. When Pam/Digging and I were on the conservancy tour we were both quite taken with a Cordia boisseiri in one of the gardens.

You and I moved into our present homes within the same time period, but there were more than 3 dozen trees on our quarter-acre.

Your before photos show a much blanker slate and watching your progress via your new blog should be fun.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Bob said...

I've got to get one of those Confederate Roses. I love lot's of natives in my gardens and that one would be a good addition. Thanks.

Lori said...

Howdy! I just found you via Cheryl's blog.

That double datura is really cool looking. I planted the white innoxia, and it bloomed most of the summer and smelled great. Does the double form also have a good scent?

And I suspect I'm also going to have an insane number of datura coming up in my yard next year. I didn't manage to keep up with deadheading and I'd find huge piles of seed under the plants. If you want seeds for the white kind, let me know. I have way more than I'm ever going to use.